PRINCIPLES OF OHSAS 18001 STANDARD
The OHSAS 18001 standard is based on the Plan-Do-Check-Act methodology, with an emphasis on continual improvement. The following steps form the basic structure of the management system and
link into the structure of OHSAS 18001.
- Plan: Identify and establish the objectives and processes necessary to deliver results in accordance with the organization’s OH&S policy.
- Do: Implement the processes for the Health and Safety Management System.
- Check: Monitor and measure processes of the management system against OH&S policy, objectives, legal and other requirements, and report the results or take any necessary corrective action.
- Act: Evaluate and take actions to continually improve the effectiveness and applicability of OH&S performance.
The Benefits of OHSAS 18001 certification
- Gain competitive advantages in the global market
- Enhance health and safety working environment
- Enhance company image and brand reputation
- Continual improvement of organisational performance
- Encourage organisations to improve working environment with ensured health and safety for employees
- Demonstrate your commitment to health and safety towards company’s stakeholders
- Ensure compliance with the legal and regulatory requirements
- Better management of health and safety risk and potentially reduced public liability